When many people look at seniors, they may see someone who is older, frailer and unable to do many of the activities they once loved and could do with ease. They may think seniors need a high level of assistance or care, are weak or – even worse – boring. Unfortunately, these stereotypes tend to follow seniors around, no matter how far from the truth they are. The truth of the matter is, these days, seniors tend to get even better with age thanks to their active lifestyles, engaging experiences and focus on health and well-being.
According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, seniors strive for more than many did years ago. “While some of these aging stereotypes may have been true for seniors of long ago, we are beginning to see a rise in active, independent seniors who are looking for luxurious amenities, life-enhancing senior living experiences and a much more engaging lifestyle,” says Alison. “Seniors today won’t just accept anything. They want what they deserve – a life of health and lifestyle of opportunity. This can often come as a surprise, no thanks to aging stereotypes. Fortunately, they are breaking the idea of what’s ‘normal’ when it comes to aging and shattering many, if not all, preconceived notions.”
Overcoming common stereotypes as you age
There is a wide range of commonly held beliefs about seniors and aging. Below are some of the most common and the actual truth behind them, including how to overcome them and live your best life.
- Seniors are stuck in their ways. This one may be the furthest from the truth of all the stereotypes. While some seniors love their certain routines and have set principles and beliefs, it doesn’t mean their day-to-day lives have gone stagnant or boring! People are breaking this stereotype by getting involved in brand new activities, trying new things and learning as much as they can. Not only this, but many are opening their minds through lectures, educational classes and more.
- They have a set group of friends and are okay with that. As the saying goes, “Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold.” Seniors are far more willing to talk to new people and make new friends than many young adults or adult children. Whether this is because of having extra time and more to do or the fact that they are finding others who have plenty of things in common, seniors often live very social lives. Enrich your life by expanding your social opportunities. Join clubs and programming you enjoy and talk to others within the class because you are likely to find plenty of new friends.
- Their health is declining rapidly. Because of the emphasis on wellness, good nutrition and exercise, seniors are staying healthier for longer. Join a local gym or begin a fitness class you’ve always wanted to try. There’s sure to be something to fit every ability and need while helping you prove that just because you’re aging, you aren’t fragile or weak.
- They don’t have any hobbies or passions. Have you ever noticed just how much seniors’ eyes light up when they do the things they love or talk about their hobbies? This proves their desire to continue their passions doesn’t change as a result of aging. With more time to do what they choose and more freedom, they can continue to improve and expand on them. Some seniors may even try something completely new.
- They don’t understand technology. This is an extremely dated point of view. Technology is actually easier than ever for seniors to use. Not only are they more tech-savvy, but with the rise of voice-activated technology, they can simply tell their device what they’d like to do. This helps keep them linked with friends and family, the community and the world, just as everyone else is.
Although aging does come with some drawbacks at times, it’s not all what people believed it to be. Seniors are changing and expecting more, and while many people are starting to see it, it could be some time before the labels fade. To help decrease these common beliefs, senior living is also changing to meet their needs and preferences. Communities like TreVista Antioch are helping seniors live the lifestyles they desire and deserve each day. To learn more or to see for yourself how TreVista Antioch is making each day extraordinary, contact our team today!
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•237•1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.