When it’s time for seniors to move to a senior living community, the day of the move is often full of excitement of what is to come. From exciting, new services and amenities, a worry-free lifestyle and the opportunity to do whatever you please, it may be difficult to determine what you’ll do first, but one thing is certain, you’ll definitely have a lot to choose from!
According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, the first day in a senior living community can be fraught with emotions. “Most seniors are nervous, excited and downright giddy to be facing this new time in their life,” says Alison. “Many are anticipating the retirement lifestyle they’ve always wanted to enjoy, and they know they deserve, and can’t wait to jump in and get started. Others are a little more anxious. This can be because they aren’t sure what to expect, are afraid they won’t be able to make friends as easily or because they’ve never had access to a carefree lifestyle. Either way, planning for your first day in senior living is always a good idea and can help you prepare to break the ice and experience the life you desire.”
Planning for your first day: move-in.
The first thing many seniors do is spend a lot of time in their room, getting it updated, personalized and feeling like home. While this is a big part of the first day, it can help to plan for ways to make it simpler and more enjoyable so you can get to enjoying your new community.
- Do as much as you can before move-in day. If possible, move your possessions in before it’s time to actually move. This can allow for this first part of your day to run faster and smoother.
- Take time to make the space reflect you. Bring decorations and items from home so you can truly make your space yours. This will help the staff at the community and the other residents get to know you better.\
- Have a housewarming party. Nothing can help introduce you to the community like inviting it in. Get some of your favorite treats and invite others throughout the community to come over and visit. This can help you make some friends and learn more about the community.
- Talk to the staff. As you move, the staff will likely be in to check on you and see that you are settling in nicely. Ask them about what’s going on the rest of the day in the community and get an activities calendar. They may also have some ideas for you based on your interests.
Beyond moving in: planning your first day home.
Once they are all settled in, many seniors like to take some time to enjoy and explore the community. Try doing some of the following things to get yourself more familiar.
- Go have lunch in one of the dining areas. There are likely many different dining areas within the community that you can enjoy. Try one of them out and order a meal that you usually wouldn’t. Embrace something new.
- Try a new program or activity. Have you always wanted to learn how to paint or play a musical instrument? Do you have a passion for gardening or reading? Many senior living communities offer clubs and programming to fit these tastes. Even better, if they don’t, most times, they’ll create one for you or let you lead a lass.
- Attend a fitness class. Are you excited to have the time to finally pick that old fitness routine back up? Try one of the many fitness classes that senior living communities offer. From tai chi and swimming to specialized classes and personal trainers, there’s always someone there to help you meet your goals.
- Go outside and explore. Take some time to enjoy the outdoor spaces at your new senior living community. Stroll through the gardens and common areas, find a walking path or simply enjoy the view. This can calm you, familiarize you with the area and grant you peace.
Each day, there are plenty of options about what to do in senior living, you don’t have to do everything all at once – no matter how excited you may be to. Choose a few things to explore and add something new each day. There’s always something waiting for you to enjoy.
For more information about planning for your first day in senior living, or to schedule a tour of our engaging community, contact the team at TreVista Antioch. We would be happy to show you around, help you discover our community and provide you with the retirement lifestyle you desire and deserve. Give us a call today at 925•329•6292.
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•237•1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.