When choosing an assisted living community, it’s clear how important it is to pick a community that has everything you will need when it comes to care, delicious dining options, opportunities for engagement and privacy and, of course, the lifestyle you’ve been waiting for – the lifestyle you deserve. Many seniors look for a community that is impeccably clean, boasts a modern style and is in a setting they find pleasing. While you and your loved ones may think you have covered all the bases, more than a few seniors forget to check the activities and programs that are offered.
While in the grand scheme of things, this may not seem like a big deal, it actually couldn’t be further from the truth. According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, programming and activities are crucial to a senior’s health and well-being. “Seniors who are engaged in an array of programming and activities are often happier than those who are not,” says Alison. “This could be partly because they are communicating with others and making friends with those who share common interests. It could also be because they are creating a link to the person they once were, without the need for care or assistance.
“A move to an assisted living and memory care community means you will have more time to spend doing the things you once loved, and can give you the opportunity to pursue new hobbies, passions and interests,” says Amanda. “It would be a shame to find the perfect community for you only to find out they didn’t offer the programming and activities that can provide you with lifelong learning, an outlet for creativity or the opportunity to explore something brand new. This is why it’s extremely important to do your research and also choose a community based on the activities that are offered.”
7 important things to consider about assisted living activities
Before choosing the assisted living community you feel would be the perfect fit for you or your loved one, be sure to consider a few of the things pertaining to assisted living activities.
- When touring, ask to see an activities calendar. This can be one of the biggest indicators of what will be available within the community and if you’ll find the programs you are looking for. Do you love to garden or be outdoors, but there are no programs to facilitate that? That could be a bad sign. Do you want to learn something new and try a range of activities but only a few are offered? It’s best to look at some more options.
- Participate in the activities that interest you, if possible. If you do find activities that interest you, many communities will let you participate ahead of time to see how you like it. When attending, do you feel welcomed and part of the group? It’s important for you to feel comfortable and happy in what you are doing.
- Do the residents appear happy with the activities provided? Be sure to ask residents their thoughts and feelings about the activities their assisted living community offers. They will be your best indicator of how you may come to like them, as well.
- Are you able to start programs they don’t offer? Some communities will allow you to start your own clubs and activities. Ask the team members if you would be allowed to do so, or if it’s been done before. If it’s not allowed, it’s best to move on, especially if nothing else interests you.
- Ask the team if there are frequent outings. Outings and trips can give seniors in assisted living the opportunity to explore and become excited about new experiences. Whether they are seeing a play or movie, enjoying a concert or sporting event or shopping and visiting a park, outings give them a chance to engage in the local community and shake up their routine.
- Are special programs held for residents during holidays? Many communities hold special dinners and events ahead of holidays. For example, on Thanksgiving or Christmas, they may hold dinners for residents and their families. On Easter, they may invite the children to an Easter egg hunt. Valentine’s Day often means there will be a treat-making class. Make sure to ask what the assisted living community you are touring does.
- Be sure to ask if family can get involved in activities. If you have friends and family visiting, are they able to participate in the activities as well? Some communities offer intergenerational programs so that seniors and their grandchildren can bond over something they both like to do, such as art. If this is important to you, be sure to ask.
If the programming is lacking or doesn’t interest you, it’s likely that you’ll need to find another assisted living community. If you are finding that many assisted living communities aren’t offering the activities or innovative programming you’d like to see, or if you are having a hard time finding a community that features a vibrant, engaging lifestyle, take a look at TreVista Antioch. TreVista Antioch offers a wide range of programming and activities that enrich the lives of seniors and meet their need for social engagement, life-enrichment and, of course, excitement. TreVista’s LifeCycles programming focuses on the physical, social, spiritual and intellectual aspects of wellness, which helps our residents live each day to the fullest. Call us today to learn more at 925•329•6292.
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•237•1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.