When it’s time to move into a senior living community you may be unsure of where to start. Fortunately, there are experts available waiting to lend a hand and provide expert advice. At TreVista Antioch, we can make a move from home to senior living seamless for both you and your loved one.
According to Alison Wall, Senior Living Consultant at TreVista Antioch, an assisted living and memory care community in Antioch, CA, moving from home to a senior living community is something many seniors and their families dread. “While you would think that seniors may not look forward to moving because they don’t want to leave home, that’s not exactly the reason,” says Alison. “In truth, many don’t look forward to it because of the added stress it brings. Not only do you have to think about what items you are going pack and how you are going to get them there, but most often think about how nervous they feel.
“No matter how many people say they are ready for senior living, there’s often an element of fear and anxiety. Many seniors find themselves wondering where their place is in senior living. Will they fit in? Is it going to be hard to make friends? Is the community going to feel like home? Caregivers may also find themselves worrying if moving to a senior living community was the right decision and how they can make this transition from home to senior living as smooth as possible. There are plenty of resources available to help make this transition easier and more enjoyable for everyone, all you need to do is talk to the experts at TreVista Antioch.”
TreVista Antioch, making the transition to senior living seamless.
We can help make the transition from home to senior living simple with expert tips and tricks that can help you do everything from making packing, moving and settling in easier, to feeling at home before you even arrive.
- Visit beforehand. It can help for both you and your loved one to see your new senior living community ahead of time. Visit your room and see how big it is, ask what items you are allowed to bring along, consider how your belongings will fit and how you’ll decorate. We can help you decide what is best to bring and what to leave at home so you can focus on making move-in day seamless.
- Participate in programming and activities. Many senior living communities will have their new residents come for special events such as meet and greets, dinners and programming. Be sure to take advantage of these because it can help you to meet new friends, form bonds and begin involving yourself in hobbies and clubs. Engaging ahead of time is a great way to help new residents feel more at home within the community and make them look forward to their move.
- Know what to pack. Before moving in, talk to the team at the senior living community and see what is most important to bring. For example, you may think you should pack curtains, a rug and lights, but you may not need to – unless you really want to! Talking to the team can help you best decide what you’ll need to pack and show you what you won’t need in your new home. Of course, if you have any hobbies such as crafting, reading or painting, it may be nice to bring some of those items along, although many communities have clubs that provide the supplies for you.
- Narrow down the essentials. Once you know what you should pack, it could be a great time to get rid of the things you don’t want to hold onto anymore – and moving to a senior living community is a good excuse for it! Before your move, begin downsizing some of your belongings to make room for your new lifestyle. Consider passing some items, such as jewelry, paintings and other things that are meaningful, down as heirlooms. You can also donate items you no longer need or want, sell some items that are in good shape at a yard sale and save up the money to buy decor for your new home. You’ll find that not only is this freeing, but it makes the transition smoother when move-in day comes.
- Bring as much as you can before move-in day. We encourage seniors and their families to bring items before moving in. This can allow for settling in before the move occurs and can help to make it seem much less overwhelming. Because you’ve visited before, you likely have a good idea where your belongings are going to fit, so try to bring those items first. Bring clothing you know you want to wear and unpack it, plan where you are going to put your favorite chair and set it up or begin decorating. The more you can do ahead of time, the easier it’ll be to settle into your brand new lifestyle.
We know moving to senior living can be overwhelming for you and your loved ones. We would like to help. For more helpful tips to make moving easier or for more information about TreVista Antioch, contact us today. It’s our goal to help make this transition as smooth and seamless as possible. Call us today at 925•329•6292.
Making the everyday extraordinary.
Family-owned and operated, Agemark Senior Living is the new owner of TreVista Antioch. Known for creating warm, welcoming communities, vibrant lifestyles and engaging programming, Agemark has been one of the most premier and trusted senior living providers since 1987. As Agemark’s newest community, TreVista Antioch is located on 10 acres in a prime location close to shopping and local attractions, as well as the great outdoors. Our beautiful community features a personalized, resident-centric approach to care that provides support, all while helping residents live full, connected lives.
At TreVista Antioch, we provide assisted living and memory care set in a beautiful environment that not only meets our residents’ needs but makes them, as well as their families, feel more at home. Although our gorgeous community is a plus, we truly believe it’s our programming and caring, dedicated staff that makes TreVista home. With our family-oriented inspiration and resident-centric approach, our residents flourish and experience days full of joy and meaning. Our staff learns each resident’s likes and dislikes and their values and pasts, right down to the dreams they never thought they could accomplish, in order to customize their care and make their dreams a reality.
LifeCycles wellness programming encourages our residents to connect, engage and enjoy life, every day. Our LifeCycles programming is designed to focus on the four dimensions of wellness: physical, social, spiritual and intellectual. This is achieved through a wide range of daily activities and routines, from outings and excursions to local events and programming at the community. At TreVista Antioch, our residents have the tools and care they need to make each day fulfilling, engaging and vibrant. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 925•237•1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.
TreVista Antioch is part of the Agemark family of senior living communities.